The aims of the workshop are to:
- Introduce and discuss the reasons graduate students at Imperial College should blog
- Describe how to get started blogging from a practical point of view
- Suggest what you could blog about and how to keep writing
- Point out some potential pitfalls of blogging as a working scientist
- Network and share ideas with other Imperial College bloggers
The workshop incorporates a practical exercise designed to introduce students to writing a science blog post. The results are posted on this site! For many of our participants, this is their first ever blog post.
You can download slides from the workshop here:
- Erika Cule’s slides on Why Graduate Students Should Blog
- Andrew Jaffe’s slides on the Who? What? When? Where? Why? of Science Blogging
- Stephen Curry’s slides on Opportunities and Issues in Science Blogging
The first workshop took place on 9 March 2011 and a second workshop took place on 6 July 2012. We plan to run the workshop again in 2013. Postgraduate students at Imperial College will be able to sign up via the Graduate Schools.